Footsteps of The Carpenter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Footsteps of The Carpenter

Attention : Please Click the BLUE links above the banners to access those areas. The banner's are there for cosmetics. To access the area's Please click the BLUE links above the banners.

PortalPortal  HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The 10 Commandments Part 1 March 31 2009

Go down 
AuthorMessage
joshuajared2000
Headmaster Admin Training Dpt.
Headmaster  Admin Training Dpt.
joshuajared2000

Asleep
Joined date : 2009-02-01

The 10 Commandments Part 1 March 31 2009 Empty
PostSubject: The 10 Commandments Part 1 March 31 2009   The 10 Commandments Part 1 March 31 2009 EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 11:48 pm

10 commandments

First of all I want to welcome every one and thank you all for coming tonight.
We hold these meetings because we believe the word of God to be true. And Gods word tells us that we are to “Train up” the youth in the ways of the lord. So we welcome the youthful and we welcome the elders as well.

As always I want to open in prayer.
Heavenly father, I thank you for giving us all the open time to be here tonight. I thank you also for your word which directs us to a personal relationship to you and your son. Father I ask that your spirit would touch every one here tonight, and even if we learn nothing new father I ask that enjoy the time we spend in your word.. amen

So, Whats tonights topic? Well tonight were going to start a mini series on “the ten commandments”

So what exactly are they? Are they important? Do they apply to us today? Well yes, yes and yes but well get to all that.. Wait I mean umm, “well get ot that, yes they are, yes they do” lol … Let us start with commandment number 1… the most important.

The 1st Commandment - Do not worship other gods
For what ever reason’s This was Gods #1, and it from this one commandment that all the others flow from and are based on. It tells us that there is a God, a creator of heaven and earth and all things within them. It is this Creator we are called to worship.
Now there are two things I would like to point out about God at this point before I go any further.
1) God does not change, He is the same today yesterday and tomorrow.
2) God isn’t a liar.
I point this out because we need to know that. We need to know that if he says this or that, he means it.

You see friends, According to The Book of Deuteronomy chapter 30 we are told that accepting and living by the first commandment is the beginning of Gods promise to us, that is Life ever lasting.
But to not follow it, will in the end, lead to death (vs 19).

So what about the Why? Why did God give this command? Well for that lets turn to The book of Deuteronomy 5:8-10. The rest of the ten are found here. You can see from this that God’s plan for us is to live a Righteous life.
It would be impossible to live this life, with out the first commandment. But there is more…. John 10:10 says Joh 10:10 The thief cometh not, but that he may steal, and kill, and destroy: I came that they may have life, and may have it abundantly.
You see Gods plan includes that we would have this ever lasting life. But again, with out the 1st commandment we will not see that life.
Mar 12:30 and thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength.

God has set the foundation for you. You can not have two masters. Think of jobs. Sure working at toys r us and big boys is fun, but one day both will want you to work on Friday night and neither will take no for an answer. You will have to choose.
So lets do a quick recap.
The 1st commandment is the foundation of all the other commandments, and it is impossible to keep the rest if your not keeping this one.
Is is a guidline for believer’s. knowing that we can not serve two masters, God is either our all in all or not at all.
You see, for those of us who do believe, this is not an optional class. It is a required act.
Remember, In this day and age the modern world does not hold to this commandment. It is clear when some one says they are a “Christian wiccan” or a “hindu Christian” or what ever “insert faith here Christian”.
Take a test this week, write down where you spend your time, how much tv you watch, games and so forth. Then add to that list how much time you spend with God, in prayer, bible study and church. This test will show you where your time is spend, and if any thing on your list is getting more time in then God, you could make some changes.. 8-)

So lets check out the second commandment.
The 2nd Commandment - Do not worship idols
I want to point out some thing I think is cool. The 1st showed us WHO we worship, this second is showing us HOW we are to worship.
Ok so here’s the big verse.
EXODUS 20:4-6 "You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
We have to understand some thing. Images are Representatives of some thing else. For example, cross is an image of the greatest act of love, or bible is the image of Gods word. And we must understand that no image or picture or what ever else can be man made, can every truly represent God. God is a spirit, and those who worship him must do so in spirit.

How can any thing man made even come close to the image of God? It cant.
Think about Buddhist for a moment. Im talking about the lil dude with the chubby belly and bald head. Hes in every ones home’s, people use him as decorations but for his followers he is the image of their faith, and it is in front of this image they bow and pray.
Do you see the problem here? Bowing and worshiping the image rather then the one who made its maker?
You see friends God isn’t going to give away his honor and glory to any other, Isa 42:8 I am Jehovah, that is my name; and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise unto graven images.
God is not found in any image made by men, Example of this is found here.. DEUTERONOMY 4:15-16 " Take careful heed to yourselves, for you saw no form when the LORD spoke to you at Horeb out of the midst of the fire, lest you act corruptly and make for yourselves a carved image in the form of any figure…."

( PERSONAL NOTE, IF THERE IS TIME CONTINUE HOWEVER IF THERE IS NOT READ “closing”)
(** CLOSING REMARKS **)

So my friends, tonight we talked about the first two commandments. Have no other Gods be for him and not making or worshiping idols. These two are soooo important to your life, and relationship with GOD.
Now, I want you to know that I understand were not perfect and no one is expecting you to be perfect, but these 2 commandments are simple to follow, as a matter of Fact this Is how simple it is…

1, Worship God and God only. There is no mix and match. Hes your all in all or hes your not at all.
2, Don’t worship any image, or place, such as buddah dolls or praying to mecca. When we love God he is first in our life and he is the ONLY God we serve.

The 3rd Commandment - Do not misuse God's name
So now we have “WHO” to worship, and “HOW” and with the 3rd comes “RESPECT” this one simple commandment is for us such an awesome way to respect our God. Think of your name. How would you feel if some one disrespected your name? oh theres jonny, hes such a freak…
I bet Johnny would be mad huh?

So lets look at some important things with this one, and then we will close it up..
"You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain" (Exodus 20:7)

Now what is Vain ? lol im 28 and I tell ya it took me forever to understand this so I will try to make it short and simple for you..

. "Vain" means empty, useless, false, unreal, and worthless in short it means to abuse, misuse, manipulate and curse Gods name. to do this act means that we are Trivalizing his name by making it seem insignificant, like “oh God cant do that” SURE HE CAN!!!!!
Or some people thoughtlessly toss it around “LORD LOVE A DUCK!!!” using it so poinlessly that it loses all meaning..
LEVITICUS 22:31-32: "Therefore you shall keep My commandments and perform them: I am the Lord. You shall not profane My holy name, but I will be hallowed among the children of Israel."
Ok now check this out, According to dictionary.com and the new websters dictionary to honor means simply “Treat with significance”
Treating something with significance is the opposite of taking / treating something "in vain."
But heres why its so important. Names identify things to us. For example, when I say computer you know it’s a machine used for personal and work uses. It can connect to the internet and access a lot of information. Our names are a reflection of who we are, and honestly, how can we honor God if we cant even honor his name?

Matthew 22:40 Christ tells us about the attitude we should have towards God:

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment." To love God is to respect and honor Him.

. Like our parents, God shows us His love by instructing and guiding us. Our relationship with Him can be peaceful and strong if we follow His instruction with respect and loyalty. Reverencing God in all ways is how we show our respect and loyalty.

And remember, when it comes to Gods name use it with care and respect he intends to give you that name,
Rev 3:12 He that overcometh, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go out thence no more: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God, and mine own new name.

So in closing, tonight we spoke about the first second and third commandments. And they can be summed up as followed..

1) You shall have no other Gods before me.
God comes first. He is not an ingredient in a cake mix, ment to be mixed up with this and with that.
He is all and all, he is not part of you, but all of you.

2) You Shall not make and worship idols.
If its man made, and your expected to “DIRECT” any part of worship to it, best to leave it alone.

3) Don’t take the name of the Lord in vain.
Don’t use it with out a reason. You know how it feels when people put you down, don’t put God down.

Last edited by joshuajared2000 on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

The 10 Commandments Part 1 March 31 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The 10 Commandments Part 1 March 31 2009   The 10 Commandments Part 1 March 31 2009 EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 6:02 pm

think that the commandments are a good thing for everyone to learn and go by.another good topic. keep up the good work. they are not just for teens adults should learn them also. thanks josh
Back to top Go down

The 10 Commandments Part 1 March 31 2009
Page 1 of 1